Tuesday, March 2, 2010

insert pun about how red rocks rocks here.

So much pizza action here these days. I'm really making good on my resolution. I should say though that I gave up pop for Lent, and that keeps giving me trouble in funny ways--like, whenever I'm out to eat, especially at fast food places, and I order a fountain drink by habit, and then I drink lemonade. I don't like lemonade. This happened on Sunday, because I was tempted by the Boylans fountain. I need to stop ordering drinks, period.

So, last night was a pretty awesome pizza adventure. I went to Red Rocks with a fine gentleman from Baltimore named Kyle. I've been to Red Rocks before (not in 2010), but always sat upstairs. This time, we got a table downstairs, and the atmosphere was great. Very cozy, yet not schmancy-pants.

We ordered one "pizza rosse" and one "pizza bianche" The red pizza was your straight up margherita, and the white pizza was with arugula, cherry tomatoes, and cheese. Now, even though I don't love white pizza, this was a really decent white pizza. As Kyle said "Arugula makes everything good." We also split a bottle of wine--rare for me, but it was nice. Certainly the first wine and pizza post, though!

What can be said about both pizzas is this: the blistering on the crust was great, and the toppings were high quality and delicious. However, both pizzas were just...not crisp enough. Perhaps this was a result of the cheese used. If they'd had just a slightly crisper bottom, they'd been really near perfect. The margherita had a really excellent spicy and sweet--but not in a fake way--sauce. It was really good pizza, and it's probably, thus far, the best pizza I've had in DC. The great company helped, too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment